Stapleton Allotments

All the latest news and views from your Allotment site

   Jun 17

Stoke Lane goes one way from 26th June for 6 months

Dear Resident/Occupier/Business,
Change to Traffic Flow Stoke Lane Following a period of review and dialogue with local residents and interested parties it has been agreed that the twoway lights currently implemented as a temporary measure shall be removed and replaced by the recently postponed one-way system on the evening of 26th June 2016. The one-way system will be implemented on Stoke Lane from the junction with Frenchay Park Road up to the residential spur of Lancelot Road for an anticipated period of 6 months. After this we intend to return to two-way traffic lights for a period of time until the work is completed. We are also working with the Council and their planning officers to review the working hours currently permitted under the planning consent.

During the closure period the northbound traffic restriction will send all flow from the junction of Frenchay Park Road continuing on Bristol Road up to Hambrook Junction, along the A4174 Avon Ring Road, under the M32 J1, remaining on A4174 Filton Road, turning left onto Coldharbour Lane back to UWE Roundabout with Stoke Lane. Residential access will be maintained from the UWE Roundabout with two-way traffic possible up to the junction of Lancelot Road. From Lancelot Road one-way traffic shall be allowed to travel down Stoke Lane towards Frenchay Park Road Junction, with both Left & Right turn movements being allowed at this juncture. The one-way flow is required to safely construct critical sections of the works along Stoke Lane as part of the Metrobus Build project.

We are mindful of the sensitivity to the users of the one-way system and the impact it will have on the surrounding areas and businesses and the decision to implement has followed a period of consultation with Council Officers and spokespersons from the local residents group. Consideration has been given to the direction of the flow and possibility of changing the direction of the flow in the morning and evening peak times, however the restriction to Northbound traffic was identified as it will have least impact on the surrounding road network and prevent confusion over the direction of travel.

Please see www.travelwest.info/SLBusChanges for information about how bus services will operate whilst the oneway system is in place. You can also call Traveline on 0871 200 2233 for up-to-date information on bus services. Should you have any questions or concerns relating to the works, please do not hesitate to contact me on 0845 86 22 327, between 8am and 6pm Monday to Saturday, outside these hours, please leave a message and I will come back to you.

Alternatively, you can email me at metrobus@alungriffiths.co.uk .  The Travelwest web site has more information on the project  http://travelwest.info/metrobus/metrobus-build/13469-2

Yours faithfully, Jim Aitken Public Liaison Officer Alun Griffiths (Contractor) Ltd.

West of England Projects metrobus@alungriffiths.co.uk 0845 86 22 327 (calls will cost you 2p per min plus your call providers access charge) http://community.alungriffiths.co.uk/


   Jun 16

Notes from plotholders meeting 4th June

Present:  Jamie Milton, Jane Ghosh, Pabitra Ghosh, John Thorne, Karen Thorne, Dick Maton, Janis Szikora, Viv Bryant, Steve Riley, Barry O’Rourke, Francis Burgess, Mike Davies, Lynne Bevan, Colin Tucker, Pam Tucker, Ian Player, Fiona Jeffrey, Brian Farley, Katie Hooper, Tony Thorn, June Thorn
The purpose of the meeting was to discuss whether we still wanted the Association to continue, various issues around the site, including the new meeting house, damage and theft.
Gates:   Everyone to make sure the gates are kept shut as they cannot be seen from all plots, and things have been going missing from huts and plots.  Small gate is permanently locked as lock not working. Jamie sure he hasn’t got the key any more. Janet may be getting a new key and lock.  Code should be changed soon  One of the gates has been damaged but Steve may be able to weld it
Association  There was a discussion over whether to ‘resurrect’ the Association, now that Jane (Secretary ) and Brian (treasurer) had decided to resign  Unanimously (or at least no-one spoke against!) decided that an Association was unnecessary since it had been formed primarily to fight Metrobus scheme, and social activities had been badly supported in the past  The meeting thanked outgoing committee and decided that if meetings were needed they would be on an ad hoc basis (i.e. whenever necessary) and people with issues to discuss could contact Jamie (0759390016)  It was felt that either EVERYONE would have to join an Association or no one and it is clear that many people were not interested  Brian still holds money left from the Association…..this could be spent on fruit trees OR on nature cameras to monitor the gates. These have a year long battery and can be put up in trees. They cost around £80-100. Have a 60 foot range. Could be good for deterring vandalism etc. Meeting House  Everyone present felt this was NOT what we had asked for…..far too expensive to run, and too fancy  The house was designed and planned without ANY consultation whatsoever with tenants, who had previously expressed a wish merely for a lockable storage area and indoor toilets.  Running costs at present (£100/month) being borne by Council. This is because of cost of sewage. This should be less with a timer installed  There is no answer from anyone as to who owns the building now or in future. Jamie will find out whether we can decide later to take it on, but at present we are NOT responsible for it.  The green roof was insisted on by planning. Again, no-one told tenants about it, or that they were expected to seed it with flowers or maintain it, so we are not going to do so.
 If in future it is to be rented out, there are issues of security, as renters will get access to allotment site. The building would have to be separately fenced off.  The shutters were almost impossible to lift. Electric shutters will be installed (paid for by Metrobus  Metrobus is at present responsible for repairs/improvements  There was widespread amusement at decision to put carpets in a building used by allotment tenants with muddy boots. Who was supposed to clean it?  The building had cost £400,000, but too late now to do anything. It was meant to be a measure to address  tenants’ anger over the Metrobus scheme and the way it had been imposed. Damage and vandalism  Some heated discussion took place over various breakins recently and in the past  Some was felt to be a personal attack on individuals  No idea who was doing this . Some equipment had been stolen and some deliberate damage to polytunnels. Nature cameras could help.  Parts of the fence are not properly joined up
At this point the meeting ended.
COULD ANYONE READING THIS WHO WAS NOT PRESENT AT THE MEETING OR HAS ANY IDEAS ABOUT HOW WE SHOULD  PROGRESS , PLEASE CONTACT  JAMIE THE SITE REP.
JG


   Jun 01

Meeting for all plot holders

Hello everyone, just to let you know there will be a meeting in the new building on site this Saturday 4th June at 3pm. The meeting will be a chance for everyone to get together and discuss how we all would like to move forward with our site. Please spread the word as the more people we can get involved and engaged the better our site can become. The main idea of the meeting is to discuss whether we want to form another association or just carry on without one.

Whatever the outcome committee or not it will still be an opportunity to discuss what we can do to make our site better and more attractive to others and also better understanding of what others may want.

I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible and please bring a chair if you wish to sit comfy.